Sunday, October 11, 2009

Kids hunting with real guns

Are you freaking kidding me…

Why was this kid hunting in the first place? With a real gun? Someone please tell me.
I just posted a link to story from the Atlanta Journal Constitution about an 11-year-old that was killed while on a hunting trip with his grandfather.

This baffles me. I have never understood hunting and the thrill in killing poor defenseless animals. I saw Bambi as a kid and when they killed Bambi’s mom I was absolutely traumatized. I yelled and pounded on the screen like “noooooo!!!” and “Why is this happening!!!!!” (Ok, so maybe I wasn’t quite that dramatic, but I was really, really sad.)

But I’ll put my personal thoughts aside, I’m sure in some families hunting is a tradition and all that. Wonderful, but leave the kids out of it. Your 11-year-old child does not need to be anywhere near a hunting rifle, grandpa. Let’s make this act of male bonding one for the older men in the family. If you absolutely must get the kids involved, show them some gun safety and do it with fake guns with fake bullets. How about we not give the kids something they can actually shoot themselves or someone else (or me for that matter) with. Just a thought.

My prayers go out to this family, but this didn’t have to happen. This tragedy was totally preventable. Lets exercise a little bit of common sense people.

2 comments:

  1. It was grandpas responsibility to teach the youngster about guns.. Maybe youngsters parent was like you? Not knowing anything about guns. Parents should take the mystery out of guns and have kids handle and question about them. (under close adult supervision.) Then set consequences for action if a parent is not present. I have most of my favorite childhood memories in the woods. Gun Safety is a must, but knowing the land and respecting the enviroment and the creator of that land is what it is all about. Without guns, I would have missed out on all the experiences of life, fellowship, family, and responsibilty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ..................................................??????????????????????????????????????????????????What the hell is wrong with you man

    ReplyDelete